Day 3 – Can You Find Me a Boat?

This post is a continuation of our experiences during the flood of 2016 in Louisiana.

Day 3 – Monday, August 15, 2016

Henry and Haigan woke early this morning to attempt to meet a friend of a family member who had a boat.  By the time they reached the interstate, the water had receded from the ramps and they were able to drive a short distance toward our neighborhood.

This day was so strange.  They got into the boat on Oneal Lane.  Getting into a boat and riding down the highway just seems unreal.   The water was receding so fast that many boats ran aground before returning to their entry points.


Henry describes the entire event as “eerie.” While on the way, they saw an alligator in the neighborhood.  Knowing this caused me to doubt that my poor Cry-baby kitty would ever survive.  Below are some of the pictures that they took as they maneuvered around mailboxes and moved through our neighborhood.


The boat pulled right up into our carport.  You can check out the water line on the house to see the actual height of the water.  Yikes!



The gentleman with the boat was so nice to allow them to have time to check on our cats.  As expected, they were scared and out of water.   Sven and Emma, our indoor cats, were nowhere to be seen upstairs in Haigan’s room.  The kittens were so happy to see their people.


They also filled trash bags with those precious beanie boos.  Yes, of all things…..they loaded up a boat full of stuffed animals!!

They took a few pictures to show me the condition of the house.    The water was receding quickly.  It left behind a yucky, slick film on everything four feet and below.   Even after seeing those pictures, I really couldn’t imagine what it would really be like when I went “home.”

The entertainment center was now in the center of the room and the couch had taken its place.  Our television was under the couch.  I imagine this to have been just a floating whirlpool of furniture that came to rest this way.  Even now, I would love to get that blanket and snuggle up on my couch as I had just three nights prior to this mess.


The girls’ bedrooms were some of the worst areas.  This one especially.  This is a picture that she will never see of her room and her sweet things.  Her headboard was an antique mantle that you can see propped onto her bed.  Her beloved Buddy did wait on the bed after all.


The twins’ beds had floated away from the walls and landed toward the middle.


Our dresser, which was very heavy, had floated and landed sideways.  Our mattress had obviously floated and did not land back on the box spring correctly.

The rocker makes me sad.  So many nights were spent rocking babies there.  I will replace it with another but it won’t feel the same.


Every kitchen drawer was filled with water and the pantry was a disaster.


It still amazes me that the water was so powerful.

They returned back to Holton’s with two large black bags filled with wet stuffed animals.  Thankfully, Holton’s washer and dryer had a sanitize cycle.  For the next 24 hours, the girls would run and giggle to the laundry room when the machines “sang” that another load was done.  It was so, so sweet.

It was only a few loads into this routine that they started to notice that some were missing.   “Frights, my kitty cat.  Moma, where is he?” asked Amelia.  I left him on my bed right beside my pillow.  “Where is Gallops?”  He was there, too.

They had no idea that nothing was where they left it.

My new mission was to ask about their special things until each one was recovered.  But that needed to happen quickly.  This water wasn’t a leaky pipe.  It was filled with sewage, bacteria and fungus.

Coming up….We wade back to a mess!



Leave a Reply